Most people are wrong about the things that will make them happy. Professor Paul Dolan, speaking at the Hay Festive, said it’s actually quite simple. I’ve adapted them for model railway use – I think they still work!
- Listening to a favourite piece of music – Add sound to your locomotive. Or just make sure music is available in your railway room.
- Spending five more minutes with someone you like – Attend more model railway club meetings and exhibitions. (That assumes you actually like the other members).
- Going outdoors – Garden railway, anyone?
- Helping someone else – Working together on a modelling project is (usually) fun. And passing on ones experience in modelling (but only when asked) is always most satisfying.
- Having a new experience – Build something in a new scale, or from a new railway company, or from another country – but without giving up your main interests.